Sometimes, one is hard-pressed to find a decent show to attend during certain times of the year in South Florida, but the 2012 winter music season is not one of them… especially if you’re a romantic. While not all are necessarily the embodiment of the “pompatus of love,” the sparks of romance are sure to fly at a few of these performances!
- The 2012 Winter Music Conference: This “unique Miami” world-class house-music event is our top Pick, due to the sheer size, variety and “relevance” to the world music scene today. The annual Winter Music Conference is a one-of-a-kind international event featuring the best dj’s, singers and producers from around the world. There are shows, parties, meetings with major industry personalities, and workshops for industry hopefuls. For the “all-inclusive” line-up, go to www.thelist.com, but don’t miss Victor Calderone. No one does it better than Victor on a hot Saturday night!
- Andrea Bocelli in Concert: A true romantic and one of the great voices of our time. Bocelli has that extra gear that all the great tenors such as Pavarotti possess. Not to mention that his pronunciation of the English language is impeccable, a personal sword of Damocles for many non-English speaking singers. The only thing that could possibly make this show even better would be if he also brought Sara Brightman as a surprise guest to do “Time to Say Goodbye.” (Tuesday, 2/14/12 at 7:30 PM, BankAtlantic Center, Sunrise, FL) www.bankatlanticcenter.com
- Willie Nelson: Most commonly recognized for his “chicken-scratch” style of country music, or “outlaw” music, Willie is a romantic at heart. And although he’s the Willy in “Willy and Waylon… The Texas Outlaws,” he is a lover, not a fighter (especially after he smokes a fatty). By the way, don’t mind the hole in his guitar… it’s a Martin! (Tuesday, 2/07/12 at 8PM, Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Ft. Lauderdale, FL) www.browardcenter.org
- Armando Manzanero & Pancho Cespedes: Armando Manzanero is the “master” of the Spanish romantic ballad! What else can you say? The event, which is being held at Miami Dade County Auditorium, will most likely sell-out early, making this event part of what is sure to be a very “amorous” and musically-oriented Valentine’s Day Weekend in Miami. (Saturday, 2/11/12 at 8PM, Miami Dade County Auditorium Miami, FL) www.ticketmaster.com
- A Valentine Extravaganza featuring the Miami Symphony Orchestra: You can’t go wrong with this one. If you haven’t visited the Frank Ghery designed New World Symphony (New Campus), we strongly recommend that you do. Just visiting the venue itself is worth the price of a ticket. Escape to the rooftop garden after the concert for a romantic view of Miami Beach. (Sun, 2/12/12 at 8PM, Miami Beach, FL) www.nws.edu