Miami's Best Happy Hours
It’s five O’clock somewhere. This is the battle cry of the Happy Hour patron. Happy Hour is plain and simple a marketing ploy. For a given period of time drinks and cocktails are offered at a discounted price and often times two drinks for the price of one. Don’t kid yourself. It’s a very successful marketing strategy.
Who doesn’t enjoy taking advantage of this less-than-subtle enticement to win your business? Yet, it does have detractors and to date 19 states have banned Happy Hour. There were rumors that New York City was thinking about a ban, but the firestorm that ensued temporarily placed the idea off the burner.
The term Happy Hour may have originated within the United States Navy when it referred to a break from the everyday chores and drudgery of ship life. For example, watching a boxing match was a form of Happy Hour. The term did not refer to alcohol consumption. The more common use probably came about during prohibition when the manufacturing, transportation, and sale (not consumption) of alcohol was illegal from 1920 to 1933.
Did you know that Miami does not permit Happy Hour? OMG! If you believed that you’ll believe anything. As a matter of fact Miami has some of the best Happy Hour establishments in the country. That’s not just me talking. It’s testimonials from many, many visitors who make Miami their vacation destination. Yes, there’s a lot of truth to Alan Jackson’s and Jimmy Buffett’s song from 2003, “It’s only half past twelve, but I don’t care. It’s five O’clock somewhere.”
The following is an eclectic and alphabetical list of highly rated Happy Hour establishments. Chalk it up as another advantage to living in the Magic City.
- Area 31, 270 Biscayne Blvd. Way, 305-424-5234
- Blue Martini Lounge, 8405 Mills Drive, 305-630-2583
- Bougainvillea’s Tavern, 7221 SW 58 Ave., -669-8577
- Chop House, 300 S. Biscayne Blvd., 305-938-9000
- Doraku, 1104 Lincoln Rd., 305-695-8383
- Duffy’s Sports Grill, 3969 NE 163 St., 305-760-2124
- Flannigan’s, 11415 S. Dixie Highway, 305-378-4000
- Gatsby’s Kendall, 8575 SW 124 Ave., 305-412-2220
- Lou’s Beer Garden, 7337 Harding Ave., 305-704-7879
- Mr. Moe’s, 3131 Commodore Plaza, 305-442-1114
- Monty’s Seafood Restaurant, 2550 S. Bayshore Dr., 305-856-3992
- R.A. Sushi, 5829 SW 73 St305-341-0092
- River Oyster Bar, 650 S. Miami Ave305-530-1915
- Sugarcane Raw Bar & Grill, 3250 NE 1st Ave., 786-369-0353
- Tarpon Bend, 65 Miracle Mile, 305-444-3210
- The Bar, 172 Giralda Ave., 305-442-2730
- The Grill on the Alley, 19575 Biscayne Blvd., 305-466-7195
- Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave., 305-374-1198
- Yard House, 320 San Lorenzo Ave., 305-447-9273
For a more comprehensive list of establishments offering Happy Hour in the Miami area and to check out the specials and savings being offered please refer to www.gotime.com/Miami/best_of/2821-top-Happy-Hours-in-Miami.